Hurrah, it’s autumn. Orangeness, dusky woodland walks, crunchy leaves and fungi. Anyone following me on Instagram will already be familiar with my obsession for all things mushroomy. I just adore the exquisite colours, shapes and ethereal qualities of these beautiful little faerie houses. But while they also look out of this world they can also can be eaten and best of all they are free if you forage them yourself.
BUT – and notice that it is a big but – please please please be careful. Mushrooms can also be deadly. The death cap (Amanita phalloides), for example, is lethal and responsible for the majority of fatal mushroom poisonings worldwide. Just 30 grams, or half a cap, of this fairly harmless looking mushroom is enough to kill a human, it has even been used historically as part of assassination plots. SO PLEASE BE CAREFUL.
Here is a good resource for what is safe to eat and what is not but I would say that unless you are something of an expert or particularly experienced exercise caution at all times. And if you don’t feel confident eating foraged mushrooms there are always the chestnuts that will be lying around on the floors of Britain’s woodland.